Hey there lovelies,
To begin with, wishing you all a very happy & lovely new year(always late, but worth the wait). Guess where I was on this new year(just in case you’ve not been following my Insta posts)? Dubaiiiii….but that is not it! I have a very interesting story to share with you guys which in a way taught me lot of lessons and as a result I am going to give you a lot of suggestions, tips and warnings if you want to celebrate your next new year in Dubai.
Some quintessential tips to celebrate your new year at Burj Khalifa
- Make sure you reach the venue before 6:00pm. The cab service stops and later they close metro line also near that area.
- Wear comfortable shoes as you would be walking a lot to make it to the giant tower.
- Carry a sheet, water and food with you as the firework starts only at exact midnight and lasts only for 8 mins 😡
- If you want to make a good video of the fire works, carry a tripod with you else you won’t get stable footage like mine 😞
- Carry change money with you.
- Always carry your hotel card with you.(pen down your residence details somewhere as a back up)
- Buy a new sim as soon as you reach there, or for that matter any foreign country
- Carry a jacket or something that would keep you warm as it gets really cold in the night. So better to keep yourself warm to enjoy till the end.
- Travel in groups, not only for safety but also to have quality time with your friends as there won’t be anything to do when you will be sitting in the garden waiting for firework.
- Last but not the least try to book your hotel at least 2 months in advance and close to Burj Khalifa as the traffic is mad post midnight and then you can’t move at all on those jam-packed roads. So book a close by hotel and then you can continue your party post 12 till morning to enjoy your new year completely.
I went to Dubai with my cousins and friends. This was certainly a much-needed break for me as I was going through a lot of stuff lately so a travel break was much required to get rid of the mundane routine. So we boarded our flights on 31st early morning, reached Dubai by 11.30 in the morning. The visa process at the airport took long than expected and due to which we missed our pre-booked cab 😡 Then we had to wait for couple of more hours to finally booked another one and reached our hotel around 3.30PM.
Around 7:30PM, we started for the mighty Burj Khalifa. Unfortunately all the cab services were banned at that hour near Burj. So we had to take a metro, which was crowded for obvious reasons. Due to heavy rush, few of us got separated and boarded different coaches of the metro. Here comes the twist in my story, at the metro station we heard an announcement about the metro not going to Burj khalifa and we have to take connecting trains. I got off on the changing station and started searching for my friends. To my surprise my friends didn’t get down. I waited around 30-40 mins for them, tried calling them up but it was either not reachable or switched off. Then the security person informed me that I’m not allowed to stay there for long and henceforth showed me the walkable way to Burj Khalifa. Now starts the misery, all of a suddenly I realized, I do not have money on me as I gave it all to one of my friend to keep it safely with him and thanks to my luck I was not able to recall my hotel address as all. Yes!! Those were the 2 biggest mistakes I did. The walkway to the tower was 3 kms long which was feeling like 30 kms in high heels and the party dress I was wearing.
Finally I managed to reach Burj area. The entrance was closed for stag entries and they were only allowing families to enter. During all this fuss happening, a Pakistani boy asked me if I can help him to get inside as he was also stag to which I agreed upon (as if I had any other option 😐). We became friends on the way to reach the park area next to Burj khalifa from where we could see the fireworks. I felt a little better, and little relaxed after that.
So this is how I celebrated my new year with no money in my pocket, no friends around and ended up having friend with a Pakistani national. All this was crazy for me. If you have some interesting story, do share it with me. Would love to read it.
Best places to visit in Dubai on New Year’s Eve
- Downtown Burj Khalifa
- Burj Al Arab
- Palm Jumeriah Beach/ Atlantis
- Dinner Cruise
- Dubai Festival City